Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The First Day of School


Today was my first day as a teacher.  I think it will be a while before I can call myself "teacher" without feeling like some sort of imposter.  The most common thought running through my mind is "Seriously, parents are trusting me to teach their children Spanish?"  

When my daughter was born, I thought I would never have a "first day of school".  I am Lucia's first and best teacher, and I was content with that.  I never imagined I would teach Spanish, or teach elementary school, but here I am.

Today went really well.  There were a few squirrely students and a technology mishap, but nothing out of the ordinary.  I'm starting to think, "Hey, I can do this! I can manage a class! I can plan lessons! I can TEACH!"

I have blisters all over my feet.  My calves are on fire.  I am exhausted and ready for bed before nine.  My heart aches from missing my baby girl all day.  But I made it through my first day of school.  And on Friday, I'll make it through my second day.  One day at a time.

14 comments:

  1. You can do it! God clearly has a plan with how this all worked out, and Lucia is home with daddy all day. Just keep on keepin' on!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! Glad to hear you survived! The first week is always the hardest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the teachers were complaining how exhausted they were! And the students were beat by the end of the day too. I'm going to have to just get used to full days of non-stop work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Paige! I'm just ready to get into my groove already!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep it up, Mandi--you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1) Love your outfit! So cute and professional!
    2) Congrats on making it through the first day! Hope it continues going well! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy_YouShallGoOutWithJoyAugust 23, 2012 at 7:08 AM

    Congratulations on your first day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made it through your first day, congrats! I'm sure you'll get into your groove soon enough. What a cute "first day of school" outfit.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, I bought a few new "teacher" dresses so I could look the part. After staying at home for over a year and having a baby, I had very few professional outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I"m a firm believer that if you look the part, it's easier to act the part! A few "teacher" dresses go a long way in classroom confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Kelley! These first few days are very surreal!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! You can also contact me directly by emailing me at messywifeblessedlife@gmail.com.