Sunday, June 30, 2013

WIWS: Freedom & Frocks

dress: Dress Barn | shoes: Maurice's

This is one of my favorite dresses.  I bought it at the beginning of the school year and thought it kind of fit the Spanish teacher stereotype with the bright colors.  You haven't seen it yet, because I've had to wear nursing friendly clothes to Mass, but now that Lucia is only rarely nursing, we don't usually nurse in public.

I just realized I haven't linked up to WIWS in a while.  My photographer (husband) has been working Sundays and we just haven't had the chance to take a picture.  But he was home today (save for a few hours of tutoring)!  I'm looking forward to him always having Sundays off with his new job!

Did you notice today's second reading was about freedom:
Brothers and sisters:
For freedom Christ set us free;
so stand firm and do not submit again to the yoke of slavery.

For you were called for freedom, brothers and sisters.
But do not use this freedom
as an opportunity for the flesh;
rather, serve one another through love. (Gal. 5:1, 13)
Perfect with Independence Day coming up, no?  We also sang "America the Beautiful" as the closing hymn and I had tears in my eyes as we sang it.  I just get so weepy when I think how blessed I am to live in a country with such a long history of men and women given up their lives to maintain our liberty.  It's so important to remember that the purpose of freedom is not for us to do what we want but to do what God asks of us.  

Lucia seems to have formed a pattern with Mass behavior: act so good the first part of Mass that we start to relax and think that she might finally be getting the hang of proper Mass behavior, then zinging us with some real nasty tantrums and general naughtiness (accompanied by that "I think it's so funny that you're embarrassed/mad/frustrated, Mommy!" smile) somewhere around the homily.  It's all downhill from there.  Mass behavior: D-
 

I'm linking up to Fine Linen and Purple's What I Wore Sunday linkup.  Head over for more church attire inspiration.



11 comments:

  1. Wow! That dress looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the "high waisted" effect on this dress. It is just so flattering to your figure. So modern and chic. Happy Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I was the only one who got weepy at "America the Beautiful" today. It reminds me of elementary school and the Founders and I get all patriotic that we are very blessed to be here, despite how it sometimes may seem.

    (We spent a majority of the time out on the patio being loud. Happy loud, but loud.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that hymn too. And the dress too. I'm a sucker for cap sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Mary! This is the only dress I have like this and I agree, it really is figure flattering (probably why it's one of my favorites).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always get really weepy thinking about our country's history. I guess it's the history major in me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your dress! That cut is so flattering on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Olivia! I'm always on the look out for similarly cut dresses because I just love it!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! You can also contact me directly by emailing me at messywifeblessedlife@gmail.com.